Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crazy Daisy: From Shelter Dog to Hero

Daisy
It's hard to imagine that this little girl was scheduled for euthanasia at a Los Angeles shelter only a few months ago.  Shortly after she went to her fosters Becca and Juan I received these great pictures along with the following note,  "She's probably the best little doggie we've fostered yet. She's fun loving, energetic, and friendly with everyone." 
Not long after a wonderful family in Ventura adopted Daisy.  But a week later I received a surprising call; Daisy's adoptive family was concerned because Daisy wasn't bonding with the family as quickly as they had hoped she would.  She was also urinating on the sofa at night and ignoring everyone, preferring instead to obsessively chase a ball!  Since Russell Rescue always allows a dog to be returned if the adoption isn't working out the story could have ended there. But Ania and Becca had strong instincts about this family and saw how much they loved the pets they had.  So I took a chance and called them to see if we could help.  I made some simple recommendations and they made a commitment to implement them.
Yesterday I received another call to tell me how wonderful "Crazy Daisy" is!  How she rules the house and that none of them could remember what it was like before she arrived.  How she had bonded with the family particularly the 9 yr old daughter and how she slept in her room every night!  I told her I was thrilled and prepared to hang up when she asked if I had time to hear about what had happened last weekend?  Well, sure!
"Last weekend our daughter developed an upper respiratory infection so we took her to her Doctor.  The Doctor said with bed rest she should be fine.  At 10 pm I went in to check on her and she was sleeping peacefully with Daisy at the foot of her bed, at 10:30 my husband went into check on her and she seemed fine.  At 11pm she came into our room and could barely breath.  We immediately rushed her to the hospital where they gave her a breathing treatment.  On the way home, I commented on how fortunate it was that she woke when she did and she said "Mom, I didn't wake up; Daisy woke me up she kept barking and pawing at me until I woke up."  The next day Daisy wouldn't leave my daughters side and instead of sleeping at the foot of her bed she snuggled up right next to her only leaving her when necessary. We truly believe that Daisy saved our daughter life."
From Shelter Dog to Hero!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Russell Rescue CA Blog